Grand Bahama Island
Grand Bahama Island
West End  
West End, located on the western tip of the island, is the oldest city on Grand Bahama Island. This picturesque fishing village is probably best known for its history as a liquor smuggling town during the prohibition.  
Deadman's Reef  
The home of Paradise Cove, where one can swim out to some of the best snorkeling reefs, and the Brown family, who have lived here for 100 years.  A recent archaeological dig along the eroding beach front unearthed many artifacts belonging to the Lucayan Indians -- hearths, animal bones, pottery pieces, and shell beads.  One of the most important Lucayan archaeological sites discovered to date, it has been dated at around 1200-1300AD.  
Holmes Rock  
This little community is known for a unique cave that sits behind a local night club.   It is over 200 yards in diameter and produces fresh water at low tide and salt water at high tide.  
Eight Mile Rock  
This is the largest settlement outside of Freeport/Lucaya. The town is actually a string of settlements, lumped together, and named after the 8 miles of solid rock contained here.  
This residential area was created mainly to house the workers employed in Freeport/Lucaya. It is located on Hawksbill Creek, which lent its name to The Hawksbill Creek Agreement that paved the way for the creation of Freeport/Lucaya. 

Pinder's Point 
This string of four connected villages can trace its roots back to a white settler and his slaves. The town has been slow to adopt the American-style fast lane culture that came with the tourist trade, even though it lies just minutes outside of Freeport/Lucaya.  

The capital of Grand Bahama, and the second largest city in the Islands of The Bahamas, the city was built expressly for tropical fun.  It is the site of many of the tourist beaches and activities, as well as the International Bazaar  and Port Lucaya Marketplace.

Williams Town 
This town was founded by Joseph Williams, a freed slave, and some of his descendants still live there on what is called "generation land," because it was settled by one family and ownership of the land was passed on equally, generation to generation, to all members of the family. This is customary in 
most small settlements on the island. The town has a boiling hole and an old cemetery. 
Smith's Point 
Smith's Point is named after the Scotsman, Michael Smith, who served in the early 1800s as Commissioner of the island. Instead of money, he was given 400 acres of land, part of which one of his sons sold to the Grand Bahama Development Company.  A sign at its entrance proudly proclaims, "Smith's Point--Bahamian Village," indicating the village's pride in maintaining its heritage. It is the venue for what has become a Wednesday night tradition on the island -- the Fish Fry
Mather Town 
Mather Town lies next to Smith's Point (see above), just across a small channel. The quaint houses in this tiny village provide a striking contrast to the modernity of those within which it is enveloped. 
Old Freetown 
Freetown received its name because it was the first place where slaves were freed in 1834.  Before the advent of roads, a foot path from Old Freetown in the East was the primary thoroughfare for travelling to the settlements in the West.  Although there is some dispute, the Hermitage in Freetown is considered the oldest building on the island. Built in 1901, it was first a Baptist Church and later 
served as a hermitage for a Trappist monk  thus its current name. All that's left of the village is a cemetery and some rubble. 
Water Cay 
Named for the abundant supply of fresh water to be found here, this small island lies in northern Grand Bahama, almost in the center of the island.  It was settled, about 100 years ago, by seven share holding families, including the Russells from Peterson Cay, the Youngs from Freetown, the Hields and Cornishes from Abaco, and the Poitiers from Cat Island.
High Rock 
High Rock gets its name from the 30-foot high rocky bluff between the coastal  road and the sea. The village is built of mostly wooden framed buildings. Some villagers fish for a living, others work in Freeport or at the nearby Burmah Oil terminal.  

McLean's Town 
Located on a cay, McLean's Town is the easternmost settlement that can be reached by road and consists of two roughly parallel roads. The villagers are good fishermen and those with boats ferry people to the nearby cays. The town is most famous for its Conch Cracking Contest held during the Columbus Day holiday in October.  

Deep Water Cay 
For bone fishing enthusiasts, Deep Water Cay is the ultimate pilgrimage.  Located on the eastern end of Grand Bahama Island, it is accessible only by boat from McLean's Town.  The cay is surrounded by 250 square miles of shallow sand and mud flats, where the gray, ghostlike bone fish feed off shrimp, crustaceans, and insects. 

Sweeting's Cay 
This quaint fishing village is located 55 miles east of Freeport. It is only accessible by boat and has a population of 400 people, most of whom live by selling lobster and conch in Freeport. The village stretches about a mile, and electricity and roads were only recently installed. 
Lightbourne Cay 
This uninhabited cay lies just east of Sweeting's Cay and is accessible only by boat.  It is ideal for picnics and snorkeling right off the beach.  At low tide, the shoreline becomes a spectacular sandy expanse, streching for yards.


This page, and all contents of this Web site are Copyright
(c) 1998-2013 by InterKnowledge Corp. All rights reserved.