Chapel of the Burning Bush
The Fountain of Moses
The Library & Gallery of Icons
In 527 A.D., the Byzantine emperor Justinian ordered the construction of two of the monastery's defining features, the wall and the basilica. The imposing wall was meant to defend the inhabitants of the monastery from the local bedouin tribes, and it reaches up to 9 ft in thickness and sixty ft in height. In 1801, another emperor, Napoleon, ordered their restoration.
Copyright (c) 1997 by interKnowledge. All rights reserved.